‘Addams Family’ musical opens on Halloween

Karin Juhl

Ms. Amy Smejkal, the director, observes “The Addams Family” cast practicing a group number on the Engler Center stage.

Breanna Bowe and Karin Juhl

In just one week, a chilling new production will take the stage at CHS. High school cast members will be putting on the show “The Addams Family” for the community under the direction of Ms. Amy Smejkal, the CHS choir director, and Ms. Michelle Kochan, the CHS band director.

“The Addams Family” is a musical about main characters Wednesday, played by Cortney Piepenburg, and Lucas, played by Mason Mertz, who fall in love.

However, Wednesday’s mother, Morticia (Sophie Brandt), and father, Gomez (Hayden Bailey), are not so pleased with Wednesday and Lucas’s relationship. Wednesday invites Lucas’s family over for dinner in hopes of helping the families get along, but things don’t go quite as planned.

“We chose this musical because it has a lot of great characters and lots of great dancing,” Ms. Smejkal said. “It’s one that has many chances for highlighted roles, and it was very popular among the students.”

As well as those on stage, more CHS students have volunteered to work backstage. A few have been building sets and working lights. Also, seven students along with five adults are members of the pit orchestra, the live musicians who accompany the show. They are conducted by Ms. Kochan.

“The Addams Family” will be performed in the Engler Center for the Performing Arts at 7:00 p.m. on October 31 and November 2, and at 2:00 p.m. on November 3.

Tickets can be pre-ordered at a discount at EnglerCenter.com or purchased at the door.

“It’s a really funny show packed with a lot of great singing and dancing that everyone will enjoy,” Ms. Smejkal said. “It’s spooky, surprising — it’s more than people expect.”