New School Resource Officer

Lizzy Wagner

Deputy Matt Eberhardt, the new school resource officer at Chilton Public Schools, often speaks with students during lunch in the commons.

Lizzy Wagner and Breanna Bowe

This year, CHS had an opening for the school resource officer position. After reviewing multiple applicants, Calumet County Sheriff’s Deputy Matt Eberhardt was chosen. As a school resource officer, he ensures the safety of students in Chilton Public Schools. Deputy Matt — as he encourages students to call him — has been in law enforcement for nine years. For those who haven’t had a chance to meet him, Deputy Matt took the time to answer a few questions:

Q: What do you do on a daily basis?
A: “Every day is different. I manage drugs, vaping and alcohol. I give safety presentations to multiple grades and keep track of the daily activity that happens within the school.”

Q: How long have you wanted to be a police officer?
A: “Since I was five years old. For Halloween, I dressed up as a police officer. I even would pretend that I was a cop and would arrest my brother.”

Q: Why did you want to be a police officer?
A: “I always liked the idea of being the person that people call when they need help.”

Q: What made you want to work as a police officer in schools?
A: “I enjoy interacting with kids.”

Q: If you weren’t a police officer, what would you be?
A: “My dream job would be a comedian, but, realistically, I would be a gym or math teacher.”

Deputy Matt wants everyone to know he is always there to lend a helping hand or to listen to anything students have to say. His office is located in the high school office. Deputy Matt’s door is always open, and he has candy. He can also be reached by email at [email protected]