Spotify Not Blocked at Start of Year

Shianne Berger

At the beginning of the school year, Spotify would not work on student Chromebooks. Some students thought the website was blocked. Although this turns out not to be the case, many students became upset.

Students are often allowed to listen to music on their Chromebooks during independent work time as long as they use headphones or earbuds. Websites that stream music, such as Spotify and Pandora, are popular sources of music.

“It almost felt like they were thinking that they were grouping everyone together — that everyone was going to listen to inappropriate music,” senior Emily Hoerl said.

According to Mr. David Endres, the district technology director, the Chromebooks were using a version of the Chrome browser that was not compatible with Spotify.

The Chromebooks had to complete an automatic update before Spotify could be used. Only a portion of the computers update at one time in order to avoid bogging down the network, so the compatible version of Chrome was not updated on some Chromebooks for weeks.

“For a few students that did not want to wait,” Mr. Endres said, “I showed them how to do a manual update.”

Spotify and other music sites such as Pandora should be working on all students’ Chromebooks now.

“Unless the music sites start using so much bandwidth that they interfere with other applications (testing, Schoology, Google, and such), I have no intention of blocking these sites,” Mr. Endres said. “That decision, however, is ultimately up to the building principals.”

Listening to music while studying can help lower anxiety and stress as well as keep one focused, according to Foundation Education.

“It definitely helps me,” said Emilee-Elizabeth Maney, a senior. “If I have to do an essay, it helps keep me focused.”

Also, Florida National University states that listening to music helps a person’s memory.