Seniors Missing out Due to COVID-19

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Christine Saukel

When the Class of 2020 posed for this yearbook photo in front of CHS in September, no one could have foreseen the pandemic and the resulting loss of so many traditional senior experiences.

Shianne Berger

Many CHS seniors are upset about the rest of their senior year getting postponed or even cancelled. The coronavirus has isolated everyone and has already caused the cancelation of many events.

“I’m sad this is affecting our senior year the way it is,” Anna Criter, a senior, said. “But I understand why precautions and certain steps are being taken.”

State solo and ensemble, forensics, FFA (Future Farmers of America) competitions, baseball, softball, state FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), AFS weekend, spring break plans, family plans, national powerlifting, Suicide Prevention Committee’s run/walk and college placement tests are just a few of the many events that have been cancelled or postponed for seniors.

“Personally, it’s really frustrating having to miss out on fun events that I’ve been looking forward to for a long time,” senior Hailey Schwobe said.

Chilton School District, like so many other districts, now uses online schooling. There are pros and cons that come with online schooling. According to University of the People, some pros include flexibility and the ability to learn at one’s own pace. On the other hand, it’s not face-to-face and includes very little social interaction.

“Online school is challenging,” senior Christian Siech said. “And I enjoy hands-on learning.”

Governor Tony Evers’ safer-at- home order will last until April 24, or a superseding order is issued, as stated at Evers.WI.org. Schools will remain closed throughout this order.

“I was so excited to finish out these last months with our grade,” senior Addison Frank said. “And, now, who knows what could happen?”

During these uncertain times, mental and emotional stress on students can increase. There are many ways to cope with the stress, however. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests taking breaks from watching or reading updates on COVID-19, taking care of one’s body, taking part in activities and hobbies and connecting with others. For more information, go to CDC.gov and click on “Stress & Coping.”

“I just hope we get to have graduation and walk down the halls in the elementary and middle schools one last time,” senior Ryan Broeckel said.

In 2016, former CHS Principal Mr. Ty Breitlow started a tradition where the seniors walk through the elementary, middle and high school hallways, lined with students, in their caps and gowns on the last day. The students from Chilton Area Catholic School go over to the Catholic school, as well.

Senior Tessa Rudig said, “It’s disappointing to see everything we’ve worked so hard for get thrown out the window — to not get to celebrate the amazing people we’ve become and celebrate each other as we’ve all been like siblings since we were kids. It’s just sad.”

As many seniors are planning to head off to college, these are the last months they will be together, as one class, and it may be cut short.

Senior Emilee-Elizabeth Maney said, “To us, this is more than just a virus. It’s more than the cancellation of school and activities. It’s our final days, weeks and months as high school students being ripped away from us.”