Math Team Wins State Contest

Photo submitted by Mr. Alan Rudig

Senior James Austin accepts a plaque for being named First Team All-League in the Fox Valley Math League as one of the top eight scorers for the season across all grade- levels. It was the first time Austin won the award and was made possible by his score of 38 out of 40 points that night, March 9, during the last math meet of the season at Kimberly High School.

Karin Juhl

The CHS Math Team won first place in their division of the state math competition for the second year in a row. Chilton’s math team also won first place in 2016 and 2017. And in 2018, the team took second place.

In this year’s state competition, held in early March, the team earned a score of 122 points, just three points above Sturgeon Bay High School. Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School came in third place with 113 points.

“I think what made us successful this year was communication,” said senior Tessa Rudig, a member of the team. “Because we were discussing and working together, we were able to think of each problem from different angles and work out the correct answer.”

Seniors James Austin, Ben Nagel and Tessa Rudig, sophomores Tiffany He and Katelyn Sohrweide and freshmen Seth Bailey, Eddy Prescott and Jack Shaver made up the team who competed in the state math meet.

“This year, we had a lot more freshmen and sophomores give Math Team a try,” said math teacher Mr. Alan Rudig, who has coached the team for the past 19 years. “It was awesome to see so many participate.”

Not only did Chilton win the state competition, senior James Austin had one of the highest individual scores in the state.

“I am happy with what I’ve accomplished individually,” Austin said. “I wouldn’t be where I am today without (Math Team).”

On May 13, Austin would have stood on the Engler Center stage during Awards Night and received a medal for his accomplishments.

However, due to COVID-19, there will instead be a virtual Awards Night recorded and available for viewing on the Chilton School District’s website and Facebook page beginning the evening of May 20, to celebrate the success of Austin along with many other high school students.

Math Team practices were held before school on Thursdays where students would be given practice problems to complete. And the team participated in Fox Valley Math League meets the first Monday of the month from October to March.

Schools can bring as many students to competitions as they wish, and the students from each school are organized into teams of eight.

Students solve problems in 15 minute rounds, and four problems are solved per round. One round is completed individually, and one round is done together in teams. Then the students’ individual and team scores are added together for each school’s final score.

The state competition works the same as the other meets except the problems are completed by the teams at their own high school and the results are sent in to be compared to the other schools. There are also only three problems per round instead of four: an easy, medium and hard problem.