Two Proms Planned for CHS Students

Lukas Halbach

This past fall, the school announced that having a Homecoming dance wasn’t an option as there was no safe way to bring that many students together in one place during the pandemic. A group of determined seniors wouldn’t take no for an answer. They helped put together an unofficial Homecoming dance at Carstens Mill in Brillion.

Thinking that there would be a similar decision by the school this spring, the group planned to do the same thing for prom. They booked Carstens Mill for May 8, and are in the process of deciding on the DJ and the right safety precautions to make another dance happen. But a few weeks ago, the school released that they are going to be having a prom after all.

Senior McKayla Mertz, a member of the group of students who is putting the other dance together, said that they are continuing with their prom and that some people might even go to both of the dances.

“The theme is going to be memory lane, highlighting the Class of 2021, but there will be no court since there will be the school dance the following week.

“It’s our senior year and our last dance. With COVID and everything going on, I know not everyone’s mental health has been okay with the struggle of finding things to look forward to at school,” Mertz said.

So I found it really important to push for a dance even if we have to wear masks and take temperatures at the doors. At least it’s something to look forward to and having fun with your friends one last time before you graduate.”

Mr. Shawn Rude, the CHS principal, has helped to get the school to host prom again.

The theme and details are still being decided, but the dance will be hosted on May 15. Mr. Rude said that the dancing and DJ will be in the gym. The gym will be decorated by each class of the school, and there will be tables and chairs set up in the commons where people will be able to hang out socially distanced.

There will be precautions in place like during school. “Barring some sort of miracle, masks will still be required,” Mr. Rude said.

The entire dance will be recorded, so if there is a positive test, the school can go back and contact trace who was a close contact of that person and, therefore, needs to be quarantined. A close contact is anyone within six feet of a person with COVID-19 for at least 15 minutes.

“I wasn’t really planning on going to any dance,” senior Grace Wittmus said. “Now that the school is having one, too, it really gives me some reassurance whether the dance is really safe or not. I think I will go to at least one of them if not both.”

Junior Jordan Lemke also has big prom plans. “At the moment, I am only planning on going to the student-led prom,” he said. “I’d love to go to both, but I think it would be too much.”

When Mr. Rude was asked about what made the school confident enough to hold a dance now instead of at Homecoming when they didn’t want to risk people getting COVID-19, Mr. Rude said that in the fall the numbers in the area were trending up and, now, they are trending down. He also said it’s about how comfortable the school has gotten with the regulations, and they think since they’ve been able to keep the school open over all these months, they can handle a dance as safely as possible.