FBLA’s State Competition Held Virtually

Photo submitted by Mrs.Kelly Moehn

Karin Juhl

The 2021 Wisconsin FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America) State Leadership Conference was held on April 12, and while no students qualified for nationals in their respective events, three students did qualify for nationals through other accomplishments.

Junior Katelyn Sohrweide was recognized as Who’s Who of the Chapter and also earned the highest award in the Business Achievement Awards.

Additionally, junior Cadence Bartel earned the highest level in the Community Service Awards. She has volunteered over 500 hours in her three years as an FBLA member, mostly tutoring elementary and middle school students after school and helping out with the elementary and middle school musicals.

Both Sohrweide and Bartel would have earned a trip to nationals, which would have been held in California this year. There will be a virtual event this summer, but according to Bartel, they are unsure if they will participate.

Finally, junior Haylee Mueller was elected and sworn in as Reporter of the 2021-2022 Wisconsin State Officers. She would also have earned a trip to nationals. Mueller was elected by the chapters, each chapter getting two voting delegates.

As the Wisconsin State Reporter, Mueller will be in charge of publishing the monthly issues of the Wisconsin FBLA e-Bulletin, the state publication, as well as taking photos at state next year and creating a video scrapbook from them.

“I decided to run for this position because I wanted to have an impact on Wisconsin FBLA for my chapter and for the state as a whole,” Mueller said. “I am very excited to work with the other officers and plan a whole year of FBLA events.”

Chilton’s FBLA chapter also placed fourth in the state for the Community Service Chapter Award. For this award, chapters submit their community service hours along with a summary of each activity. Different activities equal points, which determines the winner.

Normally, FBLA state is a two-day in-person event that includes competitions, workshops, open events, a college fair, business tours, future officer campaigning and booths, an opening ceremony and a closing/award ceremony.

However, this year, the event was held virtually, with only an opening ceremony, four speaker presentations, two panel discussions on careers and a closing/award ceremony. All competition pieces were pre-submitted.

This year, 26 students from Chilton qualified for state.

“I am so proud we had so many members make it to state,” said Mrs. Kelly Moehn, CHS’s FBLA advisor. “Unfortunately, no students this year qualified for nationals in their respective events, but we did have a few place in the top eight, which entitles them to a certificate.”

Seniors Dani Capetillo, McKayla Mertz and Callie Woelfel, junior Alex Breckheimer and sophomore Kaedanse Rothe placed sixth in Parliamentary Procedures.

Juniors Sofia Billmann, Teressa Gebhart and Lauren Leitner placed seventh in Entrepreneurship. Also, sophomore Makayla Gambsky placed seventh in Intro to Parliamentary Procedures.

Sophomore Brianna Meyer placed eighth in Agribusiness, and sophomore Kesia Osman placed eighth in Intro to Parliamentary Procedures.

There are over 60 events that students can participate in, including demonstrative events, public speaking, presentations with and without

visuals, written reports and more.

Some sample topics students can choose include Agribusiness, Business Ethics, Marketing, Sports and Entertainment Management. “There really is an event for everyone,” Mrs. Moehn said.

In a typical year, along with four competitions, Chilton’s FBLA chapter participates in many community service activities such as decorating Christmas cookies and cards for nursing home residents, hosting a “Day of Fun” for New Hope Center residents and families and helping run the annual Matt Kolbe Memorial Baseball Tournament during the summer.

This year, they were not able to do many of these activities because of COVID-19 restrictions. But they were still able to decorate a display for Delightfully Calumet, hold a coin drive to raise money for the March of Dimes and compete in regional and state events.