Sophomore Wins 2nd in FFA Creed Competition

Photo submitted by Brianna Meyer Sophomore Brianna Meyer won the district-level Future Farmers of America Creed Competition.

Karin Juhl and Claudia Brown

Sophomore Brianna Meyer competed in the Future Farmers of America (FFA) Sectional Speaking Contest in the FFA Creed Competition on May 4. She ended up taking second place, just short of qualifying for state.

Meyer advanced to sectionals after winning first place in the district-level contest.

In this competition, students present the FFA Creed, written by E.M. Tiffany, at the LDE (Leadership Development Event). The creed is a five paragraph, six sentence speech about what FFA members believe in.

“My job is to present what the FFA stands for and show my belief in the things discussed,” she said.

Meyer participated in the FFA Creed contest last spring, as well. Normally, only freshmen in FFA are allowed to participate in the Creed contest. However, because of the pandemic, she was allowed to participate this year,

too.

“I participate in the Creed competition to strengthen my public speaking skills and build stronger relationships with other FFA members who share my passions about agriculture,” she said. “Unfortunately, this year the events have been virtual, so it has been challenging to do this. But, hopefully, I will be able to meet new people when the competitions resume in person.”

For the competition, participating students must memorize and understand the FFA Creed. Points are taken off for any errors in the delivery of the Creed, and it must be given in under four minutes. Also, judges ask questions that participants must answer, relating to the interpretation of the Creed and other questions about the agriculture industry.

“Brianna is a valuable and active member of our FFA chapter and the FFA Officer Team,” said Mrs. Thielman, the adviser to Chilton’s FFA chapter. “She pursues her goals with passion and creates success in all that she does.”  

As well as FFA, Meyer participates in a number of other activities centered around agriculture. She participates in many other competitive events through the state Junior Holstein and Junior Brown Swiss Associations. Also, Meyer is a member of Chilton Tip-Top 4-H. These events allow her to exhibit her dairy cattle throughout the summer and fall at various shows.

Both the FFA district and sectional competitions were held virtually over Zoom. However, the state and national competitions this year will take place in person.