Beloved Teacher to Retire from CHS

Photo submitted by Mrs. Bonnie Mallmann

Both Mrs. Bonnie Mallmanns son, Danny, and daughter, Martha, teach at the secondary level, as well.

Photo submitted by Mrs. Bonnie Mallmann Both Mrs. Bonnie Mallmann’s son, Danny, and daughter, Martha, teach at the secondary level, as well.

Breanna Bowe and Alex Bowe

Photo courtesy of the yearbook Mrs. Bonnie Mallmann teaches her very first health class in 1985.

One of CHS’s favorite teachers is retiring after this school year. Mrs. Bonnie Mallmann has taught Family and Consumer Economics (FACE) at CHS for 36 years.

As much as she loves CHS and her students, she is excited to spend more time with her family and friends and to be able to relax a little.

“I have so many emotions (about retiring). I’m excited to spend time with my grandson and take time for myself, but I’m heartbroken that I won’t get to be here with all of my favorite people — my students and coworkers.”

“Mrs. Mallmann is the sweetest person ever. She lights up every room,” junior Miranda Logemann said. “I’m going to miss her so much.”

Mrs. Mallmann’s retirement plans include spending time with her family and friends, spending time with her new grandson, substitute teaching if the opportunity arises and possibly working a part-time job where she can help those with disabilities by teaching them life skills.

During Mrs. Mallmann’s senior year, she talked to her guidance counselor about what she should do for her future. She knew she loved sewing, cooking and taking care of others. So being a home ec teacher was the perfect fit for her. She attended UW-Stout and then began teaching at CHS in 1985.

After 31 years of teaching at CHS, Mrs. Mallmann’s son, Mr. Danny Mallmann, began teaching at CHS, as well. They work closely together and even co-teach the S.H.A.R.E. (Students Helping, Accepting, Relating and Empowering others to succeed) class.

Mrs. Mallmann’s daughter, Martha, is also a teacher. She teaches math at Cedarburg High School.

“I love watching my kids take the things I’ve done and do even better. And listening to their stories and their excitement and passion is like the best parts of me moving on,” Mrs. Mallmann said about her children becoming teachers.

Mrs. Mallmann’s favorite memory is the after-effect of the Be Kind video that S.H.A.R.E. created in 2013. The video helped sell thousands of shirts and sweatshirts. They were able to enter the video into an anti-bullying contest and won $5000 for the school because of it.

In order to celebrate, the video was played in the auditorium in front of the whole school. The S.H.A.R.E. students came up on stage and began singing “Lean on Me.” The whole school quickly joined in, and it immediately became Mrs. Mallmann’s favorite memory at CHS. She loved how they were able to spread the word and see that the students bought into it.

We will all miss her next year,” said Mrs. Brittany Mayer, a science teacher. “She is like the mother of the high school.”

As Mrs. Mallmann finishes up her last few weeks at CHS, she wants everyone to know, “I’ve truly loved all of my years at CHS, and I am thankful to the community for trusting me with their kids because family is everything to me.”