High Schoolers Coach CMS Dance Team

Junior Emmie Strouf (far left) and senior Katie Koehler (far right) coached the Chilton Middle School Dance Team this year.

Kira Bailey

In just its second year, the Chilton Middle School Dance Team was coached by CHS students Emmie Strouf, a junior, and Katie Koehler, a senior.

Strouf was asked to coach the team by the former Chilton Middle School Dance Team head coach as she was not able to this year.

“I love the sport of dance and did it for 11 years,” Strouf said, “but did not have the time this year to commit to being on the high school dance team.”

Koehler joined the coaching staff to help out Strouf and will take over as head coach next season.

When I first started, Emmie was moved up to head coach from assistant coach unexpectedly and didn’t have any assistants. This was all very stressful and new to her,” Koehler said. “Emmie and I are very close friends and danced together my sophomore (year) and her freshman (year), and I basically volunteered to help her out because I could tell she needed some assistants. From there I ended up becoming the CMSDT assistant coach, and next season I will be the CMSDT head coach.”

The CMS Dance Team consists of 16 girls from grades five to eight. The team starts their competition season in December and competes at two to three smaller competitions. They then compete at JEM (Junior, Elementary, Middle school) in January.

Strouf also said she feels she has learned a lot from this experience.

“Being a role model and coach to kids has taught me to be more patient and have better communication skills,” Strouf said. “It also taught me good life skills such as effectively communicating with adults, time management, problem-solving, setting a good example at all times, learning to compromise on certain things and staying organized and prepared.”

Strouf and Koehler’s goals this year are to become more organized for next season. And their goal for the team is to build their overall confidence in themselves and the routine, so they perform more confidently.