Forensics Team Attends State Festival

Photo submitted by Ms. Michelle Kochan Seniors Hayden Bailey and Haylee Mueller as well as juniors Claudia Brown and Karin Juhl participate in the Wisconsin High School Forensic Association State Speech Festival at DeForest Area High School last Saturday.

Claudia Brown

On April 9, the CHS forensics team traveled to DeForest Area High School to participate in the Wisconsin High School Forensic Association State Speech Festival. The team sent seven out of eight total entries to state this year.

The team sent four entries to the in-person festival in DeForest, and another three entries participated virtually. Seniors Hayden Bailey in Oratory and Haylee Mueller in Prose plus juniors Karin Juhl and Claudia Brown in Farrago competed at the in-person festival.

Senior Rachel Disher in Storytelling, seniors Sadie Bartels, Lauren Leitner, McKella Oakley and sophomore Pamela Siech in Group Interpretation and freshmen Kira Bailey and Lauren Disher in Play Acting participated virtually.

Members of the team qualified for the state festival at the district meet, which was held at Neenah High School this year. Members performed their pieces three times at district and had to receive a score of at least 21 on two of their performances in order to advance to state.

State virtual participants submitted their pieces on April 2, and have not yet received their results.

Brown and Juhl both received scores of 25. Bailey received a 24 on his piece. And Mueller received a score of 21.

Haylee Mueller said, “It was great to be back in-person this year for state. It was really a great experience.” Mueller has been a member of the CHS forensics team since she was a freshman.

Forensics pieces are scored on a rubric with a maximum score of 25 points. Participants who score a 25 earn the Critic’s Choice Award. An All State Award is given to participants with scores of 23 or 24. Finalist Awards are given to scores of 22-20, and Achievement Awards are given to those with a score of 19 or below.

This year, the team was coached by Mrs. Jenie Farrell, the executive director of the Engler Center, as well as Ms. Josie Annelin, the high school choir director, Mr. Shawn Rude, the CHS principal, and Mrs. Kathy Kochan, a retired forensics coach.

The Wisconsin High School Forensic Association, or WHSFA, was founded in 1895. WHSFA currently provides programming for about 10,000 middle and high school students in theatre, debate and public speaking.